In the harbor, next to the Thessaloniki Cinema Museum five Stolpersteine were placed in memory of five Jewish harbor and dock workers who were exterminated by the Nazis, at the Auschwitz camp, in 1943.
In the moving ceremony that was organized by the Citizens' Initiative for the Stolpersteine in Thessaloniki, pupils from two schools of the city participated actively. Pupils of the Second Peiramatiko High School of the city presented a short performance of their own inspiration, while the Symphony Orchestra of the Music School of Thessaloniki presented musical pieces and musical ernderings of poetry written especially for the occasion.
Watch the video of the event
The placement of the Stolpersteine was realised after the acceptance of the relevant request of the Citizens' Initiative for the Stolpersteine in Thessaloniki by the Thessaloniki Port Authority SA, with the support of the educational organization Humanity in Action, the Foundation Remembrance, Responsibility, Future and the Heinrich Boell Foundation.
The Citizens' Initiative for the Stolpersteine in Thessaloniki will keep on supporting similar initiatives thus contributing to the restoration of our city's collective memory.