GreenWave Festival is an alternative "green" celebration, a political, ecological festival that since 2011 succeeds in gathering more and more people each September, who freely and independently organize, discuss, communicate, interact and seek solutions to problems of survival, environment, solidarity etc.
It is organized, for the 5th year, by the Ecological Movement of Thessaloniki in cooperation with other organizations, networks, informal groups of the city and with the support of the Heinrich Böll Foundation Greece. "Thessaloniki, the city of struggles and movements" is the central theme of GreenWave 2015, which will take place from Thursday 17 to Sunday 20 September, at the municipal park nearby YMCA, in Thessaloniki. In addition to the main events listed below, the program is co-shaped to a large degree with the organizations, social enterprises, producers and groups who support it and who propose and organize events, screenings, diverse workshops (creative, artistic, training) for children and for adults etc. Every day closes with live concerts.
MAIN EVENTS PROGRAM
THURSDAY 9.17.15, 7.30-9.30 pm
"Thessaloniki: a city of great contradictions - The struggle against fascism and neo-Nazism"
- Neo-Nazism on trial - Kostas Papadakis, Lawyer, Civil Action at the trial of the Golden Dawn
- From the old into the new fascism - Petros Theodoridis, Teacher-Author
- The nationalist rhetoric and its organizations - Michalis Tremopoulos, Lawyer-former MEP of Ecologists Greens
- The Jews of Thessaloniki after the Holocaust - Iosif Vaena, Pharmacist
Moderation by Eleonora Zotou
FRIDAY 9.18.2015, 7.30-9.30 pm.
"The city’s social movements – their history and work"
- From the Federacion to May '36 and the establishment of the working class - Dagkas Alexandros, Historian-Author
- The roots of the environmental movement - Giorgos Lieros, councillor
- The contribution of the feminist movement - Natasha Polichroniadou, member of feminist collectives
- The right to lgbt difference - Spyros Varveris, Member of the Partnership for Social Sex
- Conscientious objectors and the movement of non-violence - Thanassis Makris, conscientious objector, former Regional Councillor, East Macedonia and Thrace
Moderation by George Blionis
"Climate change - The Paris Climate Change Conference"
- Giorgos Dimaras, former Syriza MP, member of Ecologists Greens
- Nikos Mantzaris, Officer for energy and climate policy of WWF
- Zoi Vrontisi, Electrical Engineer, energy/environment
- Stavros Karagiorgakis, Doctor of Philosophy, translator of the book "Toward climate Justice" by Brian Tokar
Moderation by Dimitra Gogakou
SATURDAY 9.19.15, 7.30-9.30 pm
"The movements as a response to the crisis"
- Financial crisis, odious debt and sustainability - Dimitris Foutakis, Economist
- The solidarity initiatives in the times of crisis - Social Economy, Costas Nicolaou, Bios-coop, Movement 136
- Degrowth, Localization – Giannis Billas, Author, Teacher, Organic farmer
Moderation by Ioulia Papadopoulou
"From the antiracist initiatives of 90s' to the solidarity movement for the refugees"
- The history of the antiracist movement of Thessaloniki - Andreas Karadakis, member of the Antiracist Initiative of Thessaloniki
- Syria-Turkey-Greece ... the big trip of my life - Ertuğrul Kürkçü, Turkey, MP HDP
- Recent developments in citizenship regime. New perspectives - Dimitris Papaioannou, Lawyer of PRAKSIS
- Thessaloniki’s solidarity movement for the refugees - Amir Karimi, member of the initiative Refugee Solidarity Movement Thessaloniki
Moderation by Alekos Georgopoulos
See the entire program here:
Promo video of Greenwave festival 2014, by MediaTerraNea
GreenWave Festival supports veganism and this year it aims to become the first festival in Greece with an exclusive vegan cuisine. A difficult goal, yet group Vegan Τhessaloniki and many volunteers support it while it is estimated that it will attract vegan visitors from other cities who will come specifically for this reason.
At the same time, more than 100 producers, craftsmen and artists will participate at the festival’s eco-bazaar. A number of criteria with regard to their products; their production and processing; their ecological footprint etc. has been set according to which a certificate of ecological identity will be granted to each participant. This year, there is a serious effort to reduce as much as possible the use of plastic bag in the eco-bazaar and use textile bags instead –the organizers can provide them in special prices.
Finally, the wave of solidarity towards refugees and immigrants that floods daily the social space Oikopolis - another initiative of the Ecological Movement of Thessaloniki that functions as a collection sorting and shipping point for aid material to the borders in Idomeni; is being transfered to Greenwave Festival. During its four days collection points for essentials will be running on the site where people can also get information on ways to get engaged. In an attempt to send a political message for participation and active action in society beyond the electoral process, granted that the forthcoming national elections are scheduled for 20.9. these points will operate as "solidarity polls" where everyone will have the opportunity to send a message to the refugees and immigrants and have his/her part in the creation of a collective work of art, valuable for the psychological support of these people and for the promotion of ongoing support movements.